|Battle:||Battle of Worcester in Worcester, Worcestershire, England|
|Ship/Arrival:||John & Sara, May 1652|
|Prisoner and List:|
|Other SPOW Associations:|
Published on: 09 Mar 2016
Updated: 24 May 2018
Researchers: Teresa Rust
Editors: Teresa Rust
“John Edminstreire” is a name found on, A list of the passengers aboard the John and Sarah of London John Greene Mr. bound for New England, dated 11 Nov 1651. ~ Suffolk Deeds, LIBER I., Massachusetts, 1880. Google Books Online
Name Variations: Edmester, Edminster, Edminister, Edmunster, Edmister
First Generation in the New World
1. JOHN¹ EDMINSTER, was born presumably in Scotland about 1633/1638 and died after 1679. He married, first, at Charlestown, Massachusetts, by 1663, HANNAH (_____). He married, second, at Charlestown on 17 Jun 1679, by Magistrate Thomas Danforth the widow, SARAH (_____) T[H]OMPSON. Sarah is the widow of George THOMPSON a Scottish POW from the Battle of Dunbar.
1. 1679 – “John Edmunster & Sarah Tompson, widow, m. by Mr. Thomas Danforth, Magist., June 17, 1679.” Massachusetts Vital Records to 1850 (Online Database: AmericanAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2001-2016).
2. 1688 – Charlestown, Massachusetts Census John Edmister. Massachusetts: Miscellaneous Censuses Substitutes, 1630–1788, 1840, 1890 (Online database. AmericanAncestors.org. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2013. From records supplied by Ancestry.com)
3. Could James Edmester in the Torrey’s marriage record below be another son of John?
Children of John and Hannah (_____) Edminster:
2. JOHN EDMINSTER, b. at Charlestown on 12 Mar 1665. SEE: Charlestown VR
SOURCES AND NOTES: