|Battle:||Battle of Worcester in Worcester, Worcestershire, England|
|Ship/Arrival:||John & Sara, May 1652|
|Prisoner and List:|
|Other SPOW Associations:|
Published: 14 Sep 2018
Updated: 18 Sep 2018
Page Contributors: Sandra Andrews and Teresa Rust
John Monrow is a name found on, A list of the passengers aboard the John and Sarah of London John Greene Mr. bound for New England, dated 11 Nov 1651:
Suffolk Deeds, LIBER I., Massachusetts, 1880. Google Books Online, Free Download.
Suffolk Deeds, LIBER I., Massachusetts, 1880. Archive.org, page 60.
First Generation in the New World
1. JOHN¹ MONROW/MUNROE, was born, in Scotland and died at Bristol, Rhode Island before 10 Nov 1691. He married SARAH (_____).
“MUNROE, John ~ 1652 ~ of Scotland ~ Scottish prisoner captured at the Battle of Worcester; transported to the colonies on the “John and Sarah,” 1651/2. Arrived in Boston in February, 1652. According to “The Scots In Unity” the prisoners on the “John and Sarah” were captured at the Battle of Worcester. There are four Munroes listed as prisoners aboard the “John and Sarah”. Robert, John, Hugh and the first name of the fourth is too torn to read, but is believed to be William. John accompanied Constant Southworth on January 28, 1674, as one of the witnesses to the land deed between Southworth and the Indian Squaw Sachem Awashunks for the land at Sakonnet (Little Compton). By 1688/9, John had moved to Bristol, RI, which was founded in 1680 on the land (Mt. Hope) which had been King Philip’s territory before the war. He died before November 10, 1691 in Bristol, RI, His wife Sarah____ died after February 1, 1692 or 93. All 10 children named in “Articles of Agreement,” dated 1 Feb. 1692/3, between Sarah Munroe, relict of John Munroe, and her 6 older children.” ~Information supplied by Roger Joslyn of NEHGS. via Sandra Andrews.
Children of John and Sarah (_____) Monrow/Munroe:
2. BENJAMIN² MUNROE, b. at Bristol, Rhode Island about 1678; d prob. at Swansea, Mass before August 7, 1732; m (1) at Scituate, Mass on 3 Dec 1713, MARY JOSSELYN (b January 22, 1684/85 Scituate, Mass d Before May 15, 1723); m (2) at Swansea, 15 May 1723 , MASS ANN MASON.
2. BENJAMIN² MUNROE, was born at Bristol, Rhode Island about 1678 and died probably at Swansea, Massachusetts before 7 Aug 1732. He married first at Scituate, Mass, on 3 Dec 1713, MARY JOSSELYN, who was born at Scituate on 22 January 1684/85 and died before 15 May 1723). He married second at Swansea, on 15 May 1723, ANN MASON.
Children of Benjamin and Mary (Josselyn) Munroe:
3. SHUBLE³ MUNROE, b at Bristol, Rhode Island on 2 Jan 1719/20 and d 14 Jun 1795; m November 10, 1742 MARY JOSSELYN, b About 1724 d April 27, 1815.
Sources and Notes:
On 14 Sep 2018, Sandra Andrews shared:
“This is my John Munroe’s line:
1. John Munroe b_____ Scotland d Before November 10, 1691 Bristol, Rhode Island; m Sarah_____ d After February 1, 1692/93
2. Benjamin Munroe b About 1678 Bristol, Rhode Island d Before August 7, 1732 Prob. Swansea, Mass; m (1) December 3, 1713 Scituate, Mass Mary Josselyn b January 22, 1684/85 Scituate, Mass d Before May 15, 1723; m (2) May 15, 1723 Swansea, Mass Ann Mason
3. Shuble Munroe b January 2, 1719/20 Bristol, Rhode Island d June 14, 1795; m November 10, 1742 Mary Josselyn (d. of Henry Josselyn, the brother of Mary Josselyn b 1684/85) b About 1724 d April 27, 1815
4. Lucy Josselyn Munroe b September 13, 1755 Hanover, Mass d March 25, 1827 Prob. Appleton, Maine m; November 18, 1777 Joseph Waterman b November 12, 1750 Middleboro, Mass d March 7, 1839 Knox Co., Maine. ~ [2-G-great-grandson of Robert DUNBAR- SPOW – Dunbar battle]”