|Battle:||Battle of Worcester at Worcester, Worcestershire, England on 03 Sep 1651|
|Ship/Arrival:||The ketch John & Sara – May 1652 – MA Bay Colony|
|Prisoner and List:||Possibly the Dan Mackneile of the John & Sara list, but the names differ somewhat. “Dan Mackneile” of the John & Sara passenger list1|
|Name Variations:||MacDonald, Mackdaniel, Mackneile, Neil, Nelemake|
|Residences:||Newton, Middlesex, Massachusetts|
|Other SPOW Associations:|
Published: 15 Sep 2018 Updated: 27 Oct 2020
Researchers: Dr. Andrew Millard, Teresa Rust
Editor: Teresa Rust
First Generation in the New World
- DANIEL MACKNEILE, was born presumably in Scotland.
1. According to, Christopher Gerrard, Pam Graves, Andrew Millard, Richard Annis, and Anwen Caffell, in, Lost Lives, New Voices: Unlocking the Stories of the Scottish Soldiers at the Battle of Dunbar 1650, (England: Oxbow Books, 2018), on page 254, Neil is categorized as: Possible [that he is a Dunbar prisoner transported on the Unity] MacDonald/Mackdaniel/Mackneile/Daniel, Neil/Nelemake/Daniel. Residences: Newton, MA. Possibly the Daniel Mackneile of the John & Sara list, but the names differ somewhat [DR; SPOWS] For explanations of the category, abbreviations and references see List of Dunbar prisoners from Lost Lives, New Voices.
2. There is a N. McDaniel (Scotch) who moved to Newton in 1678 from Roxbury and died in 1694. History of Newton, Massachusetts.2
3. History of Newton, Read for FREE at Google.
- Vital Records from The NEHGS Register. Online database. AmericanAncestors.org. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2014. (Compiled from articles originally published in The New England Historical and Genealogical Register.)