|Battle:||Battle of Dunbar at Dunbar, East Lothian, Scotland on 03 Sep 1650|
|Ship/Arrival:||The ketch Unity – Late Dec 1650 – MA Bay Colony|
|Prisoner and List:||Andrew Neill, #80 on George S. Stewart’s Captured at Dunbar list|
|Name Variations:||Neal, Neale, Neill|
|Residences:||Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts|
|Other SPOW Associations:|
Published: 02 Sep 2018 Updated: 06 Oct 2020
Researchers: Marcia Armstrong, Andrew Millard, Teresa Rust
Editor: Teresa Rust
First Generation in the New World
1. ANDREW¹ NEILL, was born presumably in Scotland and died after 1674.
1. He was a member of the Scots Charitable Society in Boston in 1659.
2. According to, Christopher Gerrard, Pam Graves, Andrew Millard, Richard Annis, and Anwen Caffell, Lost Lives, New Voices: Unlocking the Stories of the Scottish Soldiers at the Battle of Dunbar 1650, (England: Oxbow Books, 2018), on page 251, Andrew is categorized as: Probable [that he is a Dunbar prisoner transported on the Unity] Neill, Andrew. Residences: Boston MA. Appears: 1659. D.aft.1674. Member of SCS 1659. [Exiles; DR; SPOWS] For explanations of the category, abbreviations and references see List of Dunbar prisoners from Lost Lives, New Voices.
1650: Arrived in Charlestown/Boston, in late December.
1659: Became member of the Scots Charitable Society.
1677: Gets a Boston License for the year of 1677.1
1678: His license is renewed in Boston on April 30th.2
1678: Took Oath of Allegiance in Boston on November 11th.3
1679: His license is renewed in Boston on April 29th.
1679: Judgement against Thomas Dewer on August 25th.4
- https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/21521/images/dvm_PrimSrc000329-00464-1?ssrc=&backlabel=Return&rc=298%2C3069%2C524%2C3124%3B529%2C3066%2C714%2C3126&pId=914 [↩]
- https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/21521/images/dvm_PrimSrc000329-00518-0?ssrc=&backlabel=Return&rc=506%2C571%2C730%2C624%3B748%2C568%2C935%2C622&pId=1021 [↩]
- Records of the Suffolk County Court: 1671-1680 [↩]
- https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/21521/images/dvm_PrimSrc000329-00589-1?ssrc=&backlabel=Return&rc=965%2C2685%2C1164%2C2740%3B298%2C2795%2C526%2C2853%3B551%2C2794%2C733%2C2854&pId=1156 [↩]