|Battle:||Battle of Dunbar at Dunbar, East Lothian, Scotland on 03 September 1650|
|Ship/Arrival:||The ketch, Unity; Dec 1650 at Massachusetts Bay|
|Prisoner and List:||John Paul, #84 on George Stewart’s Captured at Dunbar List|
|Residences:||Malden (originally “Mistick Side” part of Charlestown), Middlesex, Massachusetts; Lynn (originally Saugus), Essex County, Massachusetts|
|Other SPOW Associations:|
Published: 03 Dec 2014, Updated: 18 Sep 2020
Researchers: Ray Dusek, Dr. Andrew Millard, Teresa Rust
Editor: Teresa Rust
First Generation in the New World
1. JOHN¹ PAUL, Lieutenant Marshall, was born in Scotland about 1628 and died after 1675. He married, at Malden, Massachusetts on 3 May 1657, LYDIA JENKINS. Malden, MA VR
1. Not sure if John is related to William Paul , a probable Dunbar SPOW.
2. According to Christopher Gerrard, Pam Graves, Andrew Millard, Richard Annis, and Anwen Caffell, in, Lost Lives, New Voices: Unlocking the Stories of the Scottish Soldiers at the Battle of Dunbar 1650, (England: Oxbow Books, 2018), on page 248, John is categorized as: Definite [that he is a Dunbar prisoner transported on the Unity] Paul, John. Residences: Lynn, Malden MA. Appears: 1657. B.1628. D.aft.1675. [Exiles; DR; SPOWS; Ch.7] For explanations of the category, abbreviations and references see List of Dunbar prisoners from Lost Lives, New Voices.
Children of John and Lydia (Jenkins) Paul:
2. JOHN PAUL, b at Malden on 25 Aug 1658, died at Malden on 14 Sep 1658
2. LYDIA PAUL, b. at Malden on 9 Mar 1659.
2. ELIZABETH PAUL, b. at Malden in Dec 1668.
2. JOEL PAUL, b. at Malden in Oct 1676; d. at Malden in Nov 1676
2. i. JOHN PAUL, (John¹), was born at Malden on 25 Aug 1658 and died at Malden on 14 Sep 1658. NO OFFSPRING
2. ii. LYDIA PAUL, (John¹), was born at Malden on 09 Mar 1659.
– NINE YEARS PASS BEFORE NEXT CHILD –
2. ELIZABETH PAUL, (John¹), was born at Malden in Dec 1668 and died at Dorchester, Suffolk County, Massachusetts in 1745. She married, at Boston on 27 Feb 1694/5, HENRY RHODES/ROADS.
Children of Henry and Elizabeth (Paul) Rhodes:
3. THEODOTY RHODES, (Elizabeth², John¹), 1695-1733
3. SARAH RHODES, (Elizabeth², John¹), 1700-?
3. MARTHA RHODES, (Elizabeth², John¹), 1703-?
– EIGHT YEARS PASS BEFORE NEXT CHILD –
2. JOEL PAUL, (John¹), was born at Malden in Oct 1676 and died at Malden in Nov 1676. NO OFFSPRING