|Battle:||Battle of Dunbar in Dunbar, East Lothian, Scotland|
|Ship/Arrival:||Unity, Dec 1650|
|Prisoner and List:|
|Other SPOW Associations:|
Published on: 14 Oct 2016, Updated: 09 May 2019
Page contributors: Dr. Andrew Millard, Teresa Rust
Patrick Mark, #72 on “George S. Stewart’s Captured at Dunbar List
IMPORTANT UPDATE! (July 2018)
According to, Christopher Gerrard, Pam Graves, Andrew Millard, Richard Annis, and Anwen Caffell, in, Lost Lives, New Voices: Unlocking the Stories of the Scottish Soldiers at the Battle of Dunbar 1650, (England: Oxbow Books, 2018), on page 256, Patrick is categorized as:
Doubtful [that he is a Dunbar prisoner transported on the Unity]
Mark/Marks, Patrick. Residences: Charlestown, Dunstable MA. Appears 1662. B.1630×35. D.aft.1690. No evidence that he is a Scot. [SPOWS; Ch.7]
For explanations of the category, abbreviations and references see List of Dunbar prisoners from Lost Lives, New Voices.
Name Variations: Mark, Marks, Marke
First Generation in the New World
1. PATRICK MARK, was born presumably in Scotland about 1630-1635 and died in or after 1690. He married at Charlestown, Massachusetts by 1662, SARAH (_____).
1. 1673 – “Patrick Marke” age 42 yrs. & Matthew Gibbs age 58.
Middlesex County, MA: Abstracts of Court Files, 1649–1675. (Online database: AmericanAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2003), (Unpublished abstracts by Thomas Bellows Wyman, “Abstract of Middlesex court files from 1649,” n.d.)
2. 11 March 1677/8: “Patrick Mark” In tithing district. Frothingham, Richard. The History of Charlestown, Massachusetts, Part 1, (Boston, Mass.:C.C. Little and J. Brown, 1845) – 368 pages
3. 1688 – “Patrick Mark” in Charlestown, Middlesex County. Massachusetts: Massachusetts: Miscellaneous Censuses Substitutes, 1630–1788, 1840, 1890 (Online database. AmericanAncestors.org. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2013. From records supplied by Ancestry.com)
Children of Patrick and Sarah (_____) Mark:
2. i. SARAH² MARK, born 23 Apr 1662 at Charlestown.
2. ii. PETER MARK, born 14 Oct 1663 and died 20 Nov 1663 at Charlestown.
2. iii. HANNAH MARK, born 5 Oct 1664 at Charlestown.
2. iv. MERCIE MARK, born 5 Feb 1667/68.
2. v. MARY MARK, born about 1670, died 2 Sep 1691 at Dunstable.